Friday, February 8, 2013

An Homage to Sleep

Sleep is defined as: "the natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored ". Or if you have babies nonexistent. These days I have been thinking a lot about sleep. I fantasize about sleep, I day dream about sleep. I long for sleep.  Mostly because it is constantly evading me and Kevin. This should be expected since we have three very young children but it is still a hard pill to swallow.

The third child has been the hardest of them all to get to sleep through the night. They all started sleeping through the night and staying asleep at about 3 months. While Syd also mastered this she likes to throw us a curve ball every few weeks and revert to newborn sleep behavior. This has been going on for months. When we have a newborn I am a master of living without sleep. I was literally getting 3 hours a night and functioning normally for months. It's a different story now. It's as if my body has said "look dude I can handle this for 3-4 months, but no more, you are on your own". Recently the baby will go down at 8:30pm and on a bad day, she rouses at 11pm, then again 1a and is up from 3-4am. If we are lucky the noise maker in the big girls room blocks out the wailing. If we are not lucky it's a family reunion from hell at 2am. You can imagine this takes a toll on one's sanity. In October the kids alternated waking up every hour at night. At one point my sleep deprived, delusional husband said "there is nothing more I can do for the baby, she is just upset about Oklahoma and Kansas". While Kevin is an awesome father and is extremely helpful between the hours of 6a and 10p he absolutely cannot function in the middle of the night.

I am sure many of you have experienced or are currently experiencing the same thing. I am talking to you Jilly. I know we are all in this together and this too shall pass. It just feels good to vent and laugh.

All the this thinking about sleep, got me to thinking about how cute they are when they actually do sleep. There is nothing sweeter and more relaxing than seeing your child sleeping peacefully. That being said I put together a little slide show of my sleeping beauties. Special appearances also made by Aunt Melissa, Uncle Mark, Uncle Tom, Grandma Jersey and Maebyn.








No comments:

Post a Comment